Search This Blog

Saturday, November 9, 2019

Favorite Tunes #271: SNK Music Has Always Been Great, Really

I had a different set of music lined up for Favorite Tunes but I've decided to hold off on it. Why? Because Terry is here and his music selection in Smash Ultimate is full of absolute bangers! Trust, we will be talking about that music in Smash in an upcoming post. For now, enjoy this week's selection of SNK jams.

Terry wallpaper by Cat with Monocle.

ART of FIGHT - Art of Fighting (NG)
I've been listening to SNK music for years but never heard anything from the Art of Fighting games. After seeing the two Art of Fighting tracks for Terry's stage in Ultimate, I decided it was time to educate myself on those game's soundtracks. Spoilers, they are quite good.

Kurikinton (FATAL FURY 2) - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (NS)
What a funky, lively theme, perfectly suited for Terry. Being Terry's theme music and being so dang good, there are three versions of it in Smash Ultimate: An Ultimate arrangement, a KOF XIV version and of course, the original.

The Sea Knows - FATAL FURY: King of Fighters (NG)
The game that launched the FATAL FURY series and birthed Terry Bogard. It definitely shows its age today and I would recommend other entries over it. The music, however, sounds just as good in the current year as it did in 1991. This song is in Ultimate so head to My Music and crank it all the way up. You can thank me later.

How Can China Have 4000 Years of History - FATAL FURY SPECIAL Image Album Part 2

I was really hoping the original of this track or arrangement would be feature in Ultimate but its hard for me to be too down about it when the song list is 50 tracks. I know I've posted the original of this track way back when, so here is a beautiful arrangement.

Banquet of Nature - SAMURAI SHODOWN (NG)
There is an outstanding arrangement of this track in Ultimate. I just had to check out the original version and no surprise, it sounds awesome. Nakoruru may have missed that invite but she got a Mii costume, a spirit and one beautiful remix.

Flying the Dinosaur - Prehistoric Isle in 1930 (AC)
As Masahiro Sakurai said, SNK music was great even before the NEOGEO. So we're taking it back to the pre NG days to one of SNK's shooters. Prehistoric Isle in 1930 is available as one of the many games on the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection. If you did the original game, check out the sequel, Prehistoric Isle II via the Arcade Archives line.

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: