Search This Blog

Saturday, December 21, 2019

Favorite Tunes #274: Simply Having...

Christmas is but a mere four days away so this week's Favorite Tunes is peppered with some new material along with some old favorites. Happy holidays, everyone.

Planet Freon ~ Ice Scream - Ristar (GEN)
When Ristar was originally released in 1995, the game was overlooked. This was a time when the platformer was the dominate genre and it was pretty tough to compete with games like Yoshi's Island and Donkey Kong Country 2. Nonetheless, Ristar has its fans and SEGA has given the game plenty of love when it comes time to Genesis compilation releases. The game is a very competent platformer that shows off some marvelous visuals and some of the best music the Genesis has to offer.

Dhalsim's Theme [CPS-I] - Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (ARC)
There are some versions of SFII's music that I prefer over the arcade score. I think Sagat's stage music sounds better in home versions than it does on the stand-up audio. Dhalsim's theme is another one where the arcade version never really clicked with me. Until recently, that is. Sometimes it may take a while, in my case, years, before a music track grows on you.

Jack Turner Theme - Art of Fighting (NG)
The few Art of Fighting tracks for Terry's massive song list in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate got me to check out the soundtrack from the Art of Fighting series and yup, great jams across all three games. I am a sucker for a good piece of jazzy music and hearing this one really makes me wish it made the cut for Terry's song selection in Ultimate.

Frozen Factory Act 1 - Sonic Lost World (Wii U)
I played through Sonic Lost World a year or so ago and I gotta say, I didn't find the game to be the dumpster fire so many make it out to be. I thought the parkour system could have been executed better along with some level specific gimmicks, but overall, I had good time with the game. Of course the music was awesome, it was a Sonic game, after all. This one ranks as one of my top winter Sonic themes, right behind Ice Cap Zone Act 1.

Snow Mountain - Super Mario 64 (N64)

Super Mario 64 DS wasn't a bad port but I just couldn't get down with the controls. For that reason, the N64 version has always been my favorite, wonky Bowser model and all. I'd love an HD remaster of the game on the Switch and I'd have no complaints if the music were kept as is because this is still some of the best stuff Koji Kondo has ever composed.

Diamond Dust Act 1 - Sonic 3D Blast (SAT)
I'm one of those uncool dudes that prefers the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast's music. I still like the Genesis version well enough and there are some themes I think I better on the Genesis. Diamond Dust Act 1 on the Saturn however, wins by a mile. I love me some winter game music and doubly so if it sounds Christmasy. It has become something of a tradition to feature this track every December in Favorite Tunes before Christmas.

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: