Search This Blog

Saturday, December 26, 2020

My Switch is Too Hot to Handel. No, Really, I'm Serious

The Nintendo Switch. Lovely system. Both a console and a handheld. A fantastic library of games. In the 3 plus years I've owned it, the Switch has become one of my favorite gaming systems of all-time. I've spent more hours playing it than anything else. Recently, I've been forced to cut back on my Switch play time because the little machine has been getting too hot. Like, really, really hot.

For those of you that have been fortunate enough not to have your Switch overheat, when it does happen, you're gameplay is interrupted and you're treated to this screen.

Image by NintendoSoup.

I couldn't find one in English and I don't think I'm fast enough to snap the picture on my Switch.

Some games are more demanding on the Switch than others but a game like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity are some of the more demanding games and have my Switch enter sleep mode, ruining my fun. 

I did some research and found out that more than likely, a broken fan is the cause for my Switch overheating. A small external fan can help with the cooling but all it does is delay the inevitable. So I had to make some unexpected purchases, which include a replacement fan, thermal compound paste and some screwdrivers. I got the thermal compound and screwdrivers but the replacement fan won't arrive until either early or late January. SMH. 

As you can imagine, a gimped Switch is quite the buzzkill. Limiting my Switch play time suuuuuuuucks. I mean, Sepiroth is out, I can't do as much as I want to in Animal Crossing and I really miss playing Age of Calamity. You really have no idea how fortunate you are to be able to play your Switch without these problems and until recently, I didn't realize how good I had it. 

It isn't all stormy weather. This whole situation did get me to fire up my 3DS. I've been wanting to run through Donkey Kong '94 again and I never did finish Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World, which I decided to just start a new file on. I've also got my PS4 and bought the HD Strider that came out in 2014. It was on sale for $2.99 and its really dang good. I also bought Ginga Force as a Christmas gift and I picked up Arcade Archives GRADIUS III, both for PS4. 

So while some of the sting is take out of my overheating Switch situation, I'm still counting the days until I can get her fixed. 

No comments: