Search This Blog

Saturday, December 5, 2020

VGM Saturdays #288: Music to Warm You Up

I'm coming up on my second winter since returning home and it feels colder than the last one. One thing about living in Virginia is that fall wasn't as cold. I suppose I'm still getting used to the fall and winters back in my home state. With that in mind, this Saturday's music is a bit nostalgic and heat-based. 

Lankus - Darius Twin (SNES)

Not included as part of the mainline Darius games, Darius Twin is one of the two SNES Darius titles to come to the system, the other being Super Nova. Despite Darius Twin not being a stand out title, I have a soft spot for it since it was my introduction to the series. I can easily recall much of this game's soundtrack and while most might say it doesn't hold a candle to the mainline Darius games, I can jam to this stuff.

Fire Field - F-ZERO GP Legend (GBA)

This 2004 released would be the last time an F-ZERO game was released outside of Japan, making it 16 years since players outside the Land of the Rising Sun saw an F-ZERO game. I don't mean to harp on about the series absence but Nintendo really does not need some new, revolutionary way for us to play F-ZERO. At this point, we would take an HD remaster of GX and be happy.

Round 3-2: Under Magma ~Planet Scorch~ - Ristar (GEN)

If you missed out on Ristar when it originally released, have no fear. Thanks to SEGA's love for pumping out the same old retro games over and over, Ristar is easy to find on current platforms and PC. It is a solid platformer that really pushed the limits of what the Genesis was capable.

Heat Man Stage - Mega Man 2 (NES)

The game that put the Blue Bomber on the map, Mega Man 2, while not without fault, is a NES classic. This isn't my favorite version of Heat Man's theme, but over the years, I've warmed up to it. *Ahem* An arranged version of it is a part of Quick Man's theme in among the selection of songs in Super Smash Bros. Wii U, which also returned in Ultimate.

Tifa's Theme - FINAL FANTASY VII (PS)

I've had FFVII on the brain as of late with the remake, playing through the original months ago and watching some analysis videos on YouTube. When you got FFVII on your mind, you got FFVII music. As much as I love Tifa, I don't think I've ever posted her theme in all the years I've been doing this weekly feature.

Flame Gate ~Flame Stage Medley~ - ROCKMAN Dystopia

ROCKMAN Dystopia is the sister album to ROCKMAN Utopia. While Utopia focuses on the Classic series and featured lighthearted, upbeat arrangements, Dystopia is centered on the X series and houses more edgier music. I know the term "edgy" carries negative connotations these days, mostly due to overuse of YouTubers and bloggers but trust, ROCKMAN Dystopia is good egdy. My favorite part of this medley is 3:20 mark where Blaze Heatnix's theme kicks in. 

VGM Saturdays Database

No comments: