Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Currently Playing #12: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (3DS)



I'm late on the Final Fantasy 25th anniversary celebrations, but Mega Man's 25h anniversary happenings are taking place all throughout 2013, so who says one has to do the celebrating within the exact year? I've been reading Final Fantasy articles (I have some of my own planned for this very blog), listening to my Final Fantasy music playlist which is currently at 197 songs (that will upped significantly in the coming days) and playing the series 25th anniversary game, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy.

Ask any fan what one of the most memorable aspects about the Final Fantasy series is. Pretty much all of them will agree that the music is a key element that helped make this franchise so great. Whether it's the pressing cords of an intense battle theme or the somber melodies that signify a fallen comrade, the Final Fantasy games are home to some of gaming's greatest pieces of music. After playing Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, I'm surprised this concept for a game wasn't materialized so much sooner.  You tap, slide and hold different colored Triggers into Marks using precise timing with the song's rhythm. Red Triggers are tapped, yellow Triggers are slid and green Triggers are held until the last note. This may sound simple but it took me a bit of time to get the hang of as I spent more time than I thought practicing before really getting into Music Play mode.

Right now I'm playing on the Basic difficulty setting and I still need lots of practice. Even on this setting I end up missing a few Marks or end up with a bad rating on some notes and all it takes is a few misses or bad ratings to get you into the C and D ranked territory. So I'm already doing a lot of replays on songs I've already done.

The music selection in Theatrhythm is wonderful. Some 40 songs from Final Fantasy I-XIII are here from the get-go and nearly double that can be unlocked. There is also some DLC at 99 cents a song, so that's some DLC I really can't complain about. Matoya's Cave, In Search of Light and This is the Last Battle is among the DLC so I'll be forking over the bucks for those when I get paid next week among other tracks. I really like how many of these songs are in their original format. When you select to play some songs from the original Final Fantasy, you're getting the original 8-bit chiptune tracks like the classic Battle Scene, Prelude and so on. That may not fit to well with some players, but as a huge fan of Final Fantasy and chiptune music, I find it very nostalgic and welcoming.

I ADORE the chibi character designs of this game! Terria, Warrior of Light, Cecil, Zidane and the rest of the gang just look so darn cute! And they even say randomly strung together battle cries before each song that never fails to amuse me.

Still Playing: Luigi's Mansion, Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition, OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution

2 comments:

Chalgyr said...

This is on my wish list - I just haven't gotten it yet. I love Final Fantasy music though, and the notion it's been turned into a game really appeals to me.

Reggie White Jr. said...

It took me some time to get around to picking this one up as well. I bought it back in December and finally opened it up this week. It's a lot of fun but a bit frustrating at times. It kills me that I miss so many notes on some of my favorite songs like The Man with the Machine Gun.