Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Favorite Tunes #104: Happy New Year

I don't make news year's resolutions (haven't done so since 2001) but like everyone else, I love to celebrate the new year and be happy that I made it through another 365 days on this planet. "But Reg, you're about a week late!" Hey, I'm late to everything, but at least I show up. Enjoy the tunes.

Infinity Mijinion Stage -Mega Man X6 (PS)



What happens when you rush a game out the door? Well, at worst, you get Sonic the Hedghog 2006. While Mega Man X6 isn't that bad, it really is one of the worst Mega Man games you could play. Fortunately, the music has fared so much better than the game. Do you find yourself thinking of Europe's Final Countdown song when you hear this theme? Oh, good, I'm not the only one.

Area 6 - Star Fox 64 (N64)



When I think of Star Fox 64, themes that usually pop into my head are Corneria, Boss B, Sector Y and Solar. It wasn't until I was listening to the music in Smash 4 that I'd realized that the Area 6 music originally came from the N64 classic shooter. The numerous arrangements of this jam are pretty boss but  the original still gets me pumped.

Stage Results - Pac-Man World (PS)



Clement's latest LP is none other than the 20th anniversary game, Pac-Man World. I passed on it when it was originally released all those years ago but seeing him play through this game has sparked some interest in me checking the game out. I've been playing as Pac-Man a lot in Super Smash Bros. 4 as of late. I even picked up a Pac-Man candy tin that's in the shape of an arcade cabinet. I guess you could say I've got... Pac-Man fever. Oh come on, you should have seen that one coming. Anyhoo, the this results tune is a laid back version of the famous Pac-Man theme.

Number One - Sonic R (SAT)



Sonic R is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. Yes, I know it's not what many would call a good Sonic game, but the thing is far from being terrible and it should never be lumped in with the likes of Sonic '06. It isn't just the slippery controls that call the game into question, but also the soundtrack. Composed by Richard Jaques with vocals by TJ Davis.

Aim to Win (Character Select) - Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (PS3, 360, Wii U)



What is it with Tekken games and killer character select themes? The original Tekken Tag Tourament has one of the greatest fighter select themes in the genre and more than a decade after that game's release, it's arguably topped with this one. I'm used to feeling like a BAMF when the fighting is going down, not when I'm picking my character, but I'm certainly not griping.

Fire Field - Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)



Super Smash Bros. may be all the rage on the Wii U but whether you like it or not (for the record, I never hated Brawl) you're going to be reminded of Brawl since a good chunk of the remixes from the third Smash were brought over to Smash 4. One of the many tracks you can hear on Captain Falcon's stage, Port Town Aero Dive is this super sexy Fire Field arrangement. That masterful guitar work is out of this world.

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: