Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Option Fire: Gradius III NES/Famicom Arrange Album



I know I talk a lot about how much I love Mega Man, Mario and Sonic music on this blog through my Favorite Tunes posts. But Gradius compositions have also been game music that I've always adored. My love affair with the Gradius series music dates back all the way to the early 1990s when I played Gradius III on the SNES. How fitting it is that the latest freebie digital album I stumbled across gives the audio from Gradius III the NES/Famicom sound chip arrangement.

Using the music making tool that is Famitracker, composer Wally Chantek has transformed the arcade and SNES selections of music from Gradius III into magnificent 8-bit compositions. Gradius and Gradius II were actually released on the NES with sound quality being noticably improved in the second installment. Option Fire's sound font is strikingly similar to that of the Famicom version of Gradius II, which had remarkably good music. Pity Gradius II on the Famicon was never released outside of Japan. Something they can remedy with digital releases, perhaps? Regardless, if you're looking for some top quality Gradius III NES/Famicom jams, Option fire has you covered.

Option Fire YouTube Stream
Option Fire

No comments: