Search This Blog

Saturday, December 17, 2016

Favorite Tunes #167: Rise the Curtain

Christmas is right around the corner! I finished my Christmas shopping now I just gotta finish wrapping the gifts. If you were expecting some Christmas themed tunes, you'll have to wait. Christmas/winter themed jams will be posted next week. Until then, enjoy some music from The Lost Vikings, Pokemon Gold/Silver, a jazzy Mega Man arranged theme and more.

Degeneracy [STAGE4 - PLANT] - Battle Garegga (SAT)


Battle Garegga was never released outside of Japan and the Saturn port demands a pretty penny. M2 handled the PS4 port, which was just released in Japan. Battle Garegga has some exceptional music and the Saturn version boasts an arranged soundtrack by original composer Manabu Namiki along with Shinji Hosoe, Ayako Saso, and Hitoshi Sakimoto among others. I just love the jazzy feel of Stage 4.

Area 2 - Gun-Nac (NES)


Whenever people discuss the best shooter son the NES, Life Force is usually one of the firs games to spring to mind. And it is a perfectly fine choice. But the overlooked Gun-Nac is worth your time. A parody of Compile's Aleste shooters, Gun-Nac uses many of the gameplay elements from the Aleste titles including long levels and a sick power up system. Oh and we can't forget about the soundtrack.

Game Corner - Pokemon Gold/Silver (GBC)


I have not played enough of gen 2 of Pokemon to know what kinda games they've got going on in the game corner, but even if the games don't interest me that much, I'd probably hang around just so I can hear this sweet chiptune jazz.

Space Ship - The Lost Vikings (SNES)


Guide three vikings through space, desert, and other locals as they attempt to find their way back home. Might sound boring on paper but the execution made The Lost Vikings a fan favorite and one of Blizzard's fondly remembered titles. Matt Furniss really went to town on the music in this game. The game was released on multiple platforms but SNES soundtrack ranks pretty high for me.

Rise the Curtain (Rockman Medley) - ROCKMAN Utopia album


I feel I'd be remiss if I didn't include at least one Mega Man track since today is Mega Man's 29th anniversary. Hard to believe he'll be 30 next year. Regardless of the current state of Mega Man game affairs, I'm thankful that he has had plenty of good games for me to go back and experience and so many good tunes to listen to. This is an arranged medley of tunes from the game that started it all, Mega Man.

Wrecking Crew Medley - Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Wii U)


Given the sheer scope of Nintendo's history, it can be hard for every single game to get some form of recognition in Super Smash Bros.. Having said that, Wrecking Crew was represented quite well in the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros. Wrecking Crew was given its very own unique stage, which is pretty impressive when you consider the series only has two games (Wrecking Crew '98 was never released outside of Japan.) Veteran composer Manabu Namiki wrote the jovial Wrecking Crew Medley and I have it cranked to the max in My Music.

Favorite Tunes Database

1 comment:

DS90Gamer said...

Ah, that Game Corner music from G/S is so nostalgiac. On a side note, I just looked up the Ruby/Sapphire version (since I really liked that one too) and found out from the comments that they REMOVED the game corner from the 3DS remakes! Apparently it is to do with the European PEGI ratings boards and them not wanting gambling elements in a (primarily) kids game. As somebody from Europe (specifically the UK) I feel like I should apologise for those moronic PEGI fools ruining things!