Search This Blog

Friday, June 15, 2018

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Let the Excitement Begin


I can just picture Masahiro Sakurai sitting in the development room with his team at a table, sipping his beverage of choice, shortly followed up by saying, "For this Super Smash Bros., we're going to bring everyone," before taking a drink. A team member questions "What do you mean?" Sakurai places his cup down on the table, smiles back smugly and replies, "EVERYONE."

OK, so it probably didn't go down like that, but a part of me likes to think it did.

We all have those games that we look forward to, games that stir excitement. However, some games garner much more excitement than others. For myself and I greatly suspect for a lot of others, Super Smash Bros. is one of those games that get people seriously jazzed with anticipation. Although when it comes to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, I don't think the word excitement even does justice to just how stoked people are for this game.

"Everyone is here!" Three simple words. Yet to many players, they hold so much meaning. Over the course of four games and nearly twenty years, we've all found favorite characters or mains that we love to play as. Sadly, we've seen some of those same characters dropped. As a huge fan of the Ice Climbers, I was super disappointed to not see them return for 3DS/Wii U Smash. The loss of Solid Snake stung for a lot of people and Wolf mains saw the number of Star Fox reps cut down to two. I had originally planned to do a feature of characters I wanted for the Switch version of Smash, including both new characters and those that I'd like to see return. Nintendo's E3 deep dive of Ultimate gives me little reason to even go on with said feature. All the characters I wanted to see return are coming back. Seeing reactions of people losing it when Snake appeared made it seem like we were back in 2006 when the character was revealed at the end of Brawl's trailer. Currently the roster consists of 65 characters. I'd like to see more, but if 65 is all we get, I really can't complain.

As someone that has always preferred Daisy to Peach, I am so happy to see her make it as an echo fighter in Ultimate. I will definitely be maining Inkling as I love Splatoon, It sucks that Waluigi isn't a playable character but at least he's still in as an Assist Trophy. I know many Waluigi fans aren't content with that, but getting some kind of representation in Smash is quite the honor. I'm excited to see my boy Bomberman make it as an Assist Trophy for this game! At high percentages, he looks like he could be series trouble if he isn't KO'd before those bombs go off.

And the title of "Ultimate" for this game is spot on. With so many characters, so many stages and three different stage options, new techniques, this is looking like it is going to be the ultimate Super Smash Bros. game. The only other title they could have gone with to top Ultimate is Everyone is Here! I mean, have those three words have never sounded so good. I want to play the old stages, the new stages, play with the new characters. the old characters, collect a ton of trophies, hear the glorious new remixes and oh so much more. Like so many of you, I cannot wait to get my grubby hands on this game. My hype thruststers have been activated to overdrive levels.

No comments: