Search This Blog

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Game Music Out The Wazoo Pt. I

The last few days have been fantastic to say the least. I've probably added a couple of more gigs worth of video game music to my hardrive. And since no one likes a video game music horder, I've decided to share my discoveries with you.



First up are the winners for August's Dwelling of Duels. It was a Street Fighter month and although there weren't as many entries as past duels, what was there is what matters. Quality over quantity and the quality of these songs are amazing. "Hugest Foe" is sure to be a fan favorite for a lot of people.



August Duels





Various artists from the gaming commuunity have come together to make Heavy Troopa is Ready to Launch!, a fanmade 3 disc album to Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. The covers here don't stick to one genre. There's rock, rap, retro, this soundtrack is all over the place. I would have finished listening to it a lot sooner but I kept replaying "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms" (a favorite of mine since I played Super Mario RPG more than 10 years ago). The best thing about this album aside from the sweet music is that its free! They could have easily charged us for it but they've decided to give it away, God bless 'em.



Heavy Troopa is Ready to Launch!


One look at the album cover for Here Comes a New Challenger and you'd think it would have songs all about fighting games. That's what I thought, anyway. No, this lyric-heavy fanmade album hardly even touches on fighting games but it's still pretty cool. The first song, "Not This Castle" says what I've been saying about Princess Peach for years (you'll have to listen to it to see what I mean). I could do without the use of the f-bomb in some of these songs, but on the whole, I found this album enjoyable. "Game Girl" cracks me up each time I listen to it. Like Heavy Troopa is Ready to Launch!, this one is also free.


Here Comes a New Challenger



Featuring 11 songs and a length of over 45 minutes, Noentiendo is a metal album with music from the Mega Man X series, Kirby, the Mario games, Contra and more. ThePlasmas did a fantastic job on this one. And you can't beat the price: free!

Noentiendo

I've got lots more albums to mention so I'll be back for pt. II later on. Hope you enjoy the tunage. I know I did.

3 comments:

Tommy said...

Geno!!!!!

The last time I saw him was his cameo role in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

If he came out in the 2nd, I won't know till I buy it.


Here's a rather interesting Forest Maze video I've come across.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvB-lIcHHPQ

Reggie White Jr. said...

I loved Superstar Saga. Geno made a cameo in that game? Its been a few years since I've beaten it so maybe I saw him and forgot, although I've got a pretty good memory, so I may have just missed him.

Tommy said...

It's in one of the mini-games you can play at Little Fungitown.

I think a mini Geno explains the rules for one of the games in the arcade. Maybe it's not the actual Geno, but it's a step in the right direction after Nintendo and Square started working together again.

I'm not sure if Square had part of the rights to the character since they collabed with Nintendo on Super Mario RPG, and once the two had a falling out during the Sony years... :/