Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2011

Virtual Console Purchases 3

Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (SNES)
I actually owned the PlayStation version of Ogre Battle but it's another one of those trade-ins that I wish I never did. It's quite the rare game these days as is the original SNES cart. Both command some pretty high prices just about everywhere. Thankfully, digital copies are much easier on your wallet. Did I mention that, despite owning this game, I never played much of it? Often hailed as a strategy/RPG masterpiece, the first Ogre Battle is rich in visuals, story, gameplay and music. Revolt is without a doubt, one of the greatest audio blessings on this or any other universe.

Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber (N64)
Since I picked up the first Ogre Battle, it only seemed
natural to pick up the N64's Peron of Lordly Caliber. Besides, the second SNES offering Let Us Cling Together hasn't shown up on the Virtual Console yet and since there's a spiffy PSP enhanced version of it, I wonder if it ever well. Years ago, I passed up a chance to buy a loose copy of this game for only $25.
That was a steal because on my side of the pond, Person of Lordly Caliber is a pretty uncommon game to come by. Another one of those things I beat myself up over, but hey, once again, digital copies win the day. I never played this one at all, but have heard nothing but good things about it. Also, I'm not a huge strategy buff but the Ogre Battle games have always appealed to me and I like all types of games so I figured this and the original Ogre Battle earned a spot in my VC library.

Chrono Trigger (SNES)
I really can't say anything about this brilliant, wonderful game that has not already been said. I own multiple copies of it, it's one of the best SNES games ever made, one of the greatest RPGs of all-time and one of the finest things gaming has to offer. So yeah, I love this game the same amount of fanboy fanaticism as the next guy/gal. When I heard it was getting the VC treatment, I was thrilled. My SNES version hasn't been played in ages, and I've yet to pick up the now $20 DS version. Chrono Trigger not only holds meaning to me because it's an awesome game on every level, but also because I bought it for myself with money I had received for my 16th birthday. Can you believe I was able to get that game for $35 at one point on the SNES, instructions included (for some dumb reason they wouldn't let me have the box, but considering what I did with most of my game boxes, yeah...)? These days, a physical cart version isn't so cheap.

Shinobi (Arcade)
There's not a single person on this Earth that doesn't think ninjas are freaking awesome. While many of us lack the skill, speed and technique it requires to slices up fools in such a stylish manner that only ninjas can, we can at least take solace in the fact that our dreams can be lived out through video games. I've played just about every console version of Sega's Shinobi series, but never touched the coin-op original, though I did see it's Master System port in action. I didn't even know the arcade version of Shinobi was on the Virtual Console until recently. Picking this one up, marks my first ever VC arcade purchase. This game sounds difficult from what I've read, so I think I'm really going to enjoy the options that VC arcade games give you. And hooray for infinite continues because it will probably be some time before I can finish this game with a handful of credits, if at all.

New Adventure Island (TG-16)
Trying to keep in line with games I either don't own or haven't played, I picked up an Adventure Island game that received high marks over at nintendolife.com. Despite the series not gaining the same acclaim as an Italian plumber or a speed blue hedgehog, I do enjoy the Adventure Island games. Now if only Master Higgins would keep his girlfriend on a short leash, he wouldn't have to run around saving her and would be able to do what you're supposed to do on an island: nothing.






Games Bought: 5
Time Spent on Wii Shop Channel: 2 hours & 3 minutes

No comments: