Search This Blog

Friday, May 20, 2011

Virtual Console Purchases 2

Pay day has come and gone and so have more Wii points. I didn't buy all these games in the span of one day/night and I'm too lazy to go back and see how much time I spent browsing on the Wii Shop Channel, so we're doing without the time statistics for this entry. This time it's just the games.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
Ocarina of Time was one of my favorite Zelda titles and one of my favorite video games. The fact that a follow up appeared and on the same system, no less, is pretty amazing. Though from what I've heard, Majora's Mask is similar to Ocarina of Time, it's also vastly different in many respects, with Links' numerous forms and that nightmare fuel incarnate moon always hanging over your head when you're outside. I never really played much of this game, but I'd always meant to. A good friend of mine actually gave me his copy, free of charge. No joke. I still have the N64 cartridge to this day. I even have the Nintendo Power Strategy Guide. Yeah, I'm one of those guys that always plays Zelda with a guide. Sue me.

Bomberman '93 (TG-16)
I've had Bomberman on the brain for some time now. My favorite Bomberman game of all-time is Super Bomberman 2 for the SNES but sadly, it has yet to see a Virtual Console release. Desperate to get a Bomberman fix and wanting to check out a Bomberman title I've never owned or played, I plucked down 600 Wii points for Bomberman '93. Never played a 5-player multi-player Bomberman game before. Should be interesting if I ever get around to it. Still got pick up two more Wii Remotes. Ah, I can already see the comical faces of different Bombermen being blown to pieces.


Bomberman '94 (TG-16)
Last time I picked up some VC games, there was at least one import title in the mix in Alien Soldier. This time, it's Bomberman '94. An interesting thing about this game is that it received a port on the Sega Genesis under the title Mega Bomberman in the same year in North America, Europe and South Korea. The TG-16 version remained a Japanese exclusive title until it's Virtual Console release. I bought and played Mega Bomberman to death in 1996. Sadly, I traded it in years ago. Most people say Bomberman '94 is superior to Mega Bomberman but if I found a copy of Mega Bomberman for cheap, I'd probably pick it up again. I've always been rather fond of the game's title theme. I prefer it over the TG-16 version but that's probably due to having played Mega Bomberman first. I certainly wouldn't call Bomberman '94's title music bad by any means. Both versions would make an excellent ring tone.


Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)
There have been numerous Contra games over the years, but in my eyes, the cream of the crop would have to be Contra III: The Alien Wars. It's got everything you could want from a quality Contra title. Loads of action, a sweet arsenal (which includes old favorites like the Spread Gun) and a plethora of bosses for you to mow down. A few members of Treasure, the small but powerhouse developer composed of former Konami employees worked on Contra III and after playing through it again recently, the Treasure-influences are now much more noticeable, especially during a few boss fights. I just wish the American and PAL versions had infinite continues and the Konami Code like the Japanese version did. Seriously, playing Contra III on Hard is like some form of cruel and unusual punishment.

F-Zero (SNES)
As a kid and in my early teens, I was never really big on racing games. I passed on the numerous Top Gear games and I didn't start playing Gran Turismo until my late teen years. Nintendo's arcade racing efforts were different, though. I loved me some Super Mario Kart and if I recall correctly, F-Zero was the first futuristic racer that I ever played. Despite the added content in the sequels, the original still holds a special place in my heart. I do wonder though. Will we EVER see those hover cars in real life?

No comments: