Search This Blog

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Latest Game Purchases 5

Video Game Heaven has quickly become one of my favorite places in Virginia Beach and one of my favorite places on planet Earth. Going in is always treat because they have so much cool retro stuff to look at as well as good prices on both old and new games. With just my second trip to the store, I came out with a nice selection of goodies.


The first time I went into Video Game Heaven, I was shocked to see that they had a single copy of Bangai-O for the Dreamcast. Of all the used Dreamcast games I've seen over the years, this marked only the second time I'd ever seen it in stores and the first time I saw one, the store wanted $50 for a complete copy. At Video Game Heaven, it only cost $20 and it had a case and instructions. Works for me. I was afraid I'd have to pick up another Dreamcast because the power button was sticking for some time now. But after taking the cap of the power button off, it turns on and off just fine now. Some cleaning to get whatever chemical caused it to get stuck removed and I should be able to have the power cap back on.


ROOOOLLLLLLLING STAAAAAAARRRT! Who remembers Daytona USA? Yeah, you couldn't get those cheesy lyrics out of your head even if you tried. While Daytona's music may be of an acquired taste (I'm quite fond of it myself), I think most would agree that the series arcade style take on stock car racing is top notch. Sure the original may be pretty dated compared to the Dreamcast version, but Daytona USA on the Saturn was super cheap. How could I pass that up? Plus it's Daytona! DAYTOOOOONAAAAAAA!!!


Never thought I'd own a copy of Christmas NiGHTS but I do now. I know for certain that the game wasn't there when I went back in March when I picked up the original NiGHTS. For those not in the know, Christmas NiGHTS is a 2 level demo of sorts with some nice bonus features, including the ability to play as Sonic in Spring Valley. I'm not sure how easy this game is to come by these days, but I it didn't cost much so I was more than happy to have it. It makes my NiGHTS collection complete.


I bought another copy of Virtua Cop, forgetting that I already had one that I purchased about 5 years ago, but the cover for it was pretty messed up so I'm fine with having one that doesn't hurt my eyes when I look at it.


Bomberman 64 had one of the best single player experiences out of any Bomberman game. I was listening to the music lately and as usual, having one of my regretful trade moments. I was hoping the store would have a copy in, and sure enough, they had one copy left for chump change. I would have gotten Bomberman 64: The Second Attack, but that sucker was not cheap. Maybe another time.


I let one of my buddies borrow Contra: Shattered Soldier along with some other PS2 games a year ago but he moved and, well you know how that stuff usually goes. I still keep in touch with him, I just never got around to asking for my games back and maybe he forgot about them. Whatever, the case, he can hang onto Shattered Solider because I got a complete copy again on the cheap. Now all I gotta do is pick up Contra 4 and I'll have all the Contra games I care about (those crappy PS1 games do not count).


Milestone moment for me today. I picked up my very first Saturn import title. Even though I didn't own a Saturn at the time, I remember X-Men vs. Street Fighter being all the rage in 1998. I've got it on MAME but I never thought about owning a physical copy. It's complete and even the box is in superb condition. Only problem is the 4MB cartridge. I was told by the guy that rung me up that the 4MB carts are notorious for not working. That and it could be the Saturn's pin connectors are worse than that of the American designed NES pin connectors. I kid you not, I've had better luck screwing around with NES games and getting them to work than I have the 4MB Saturn cart. I must have messed with it for an hour before giving up. I've still got my receipt and was told to check to make sure the 4MB cart works. I'm not sure what they'll tell me when I take it back. I may just have to buy another 4MB cart or one of those Action Replays carts. I really want to get my import game on and no fickle cart slot is gonna stop me.


I've been thinking of getting back into the Animal Crossing groove but after having collection everything on the GameCube version, I wasn't sure if I should just play that game all over again. Then I spotted Animal Crossing: City Folk and at a bargain price on Nintendo Selects. I'd been wondering what happened to Nintendo's Player Choice line over the last few years and it looks like they finally decided to bring it back. I'm hoping this extends to third party games and DS games. There's no reason Super Mario Galaxy should be selling new for $50 nearly 3 years after it's release and ditto for Mario Kart DS selling for $34.99 when the game is nearly six years old.

Oh and in case you're wondering why I didn't take a picture of all the games together like I usually do, well, the reason for that is, the camera decided to be a jerk and not even acknowledge that I took pictures of the games numerous times.

No comments: