Search This Blog

Thursday, April 5, 2012

DVD Pick-Ups #1

Gaming Rocks on is a blog reserved for gaming related posts but since I'm a huge cartoon and anime fan, I figured I could start sharing some of my DVD purchases here. Not all of these were purchased this week. Some of these I picked up weeks ago. I just decided to include the whole lot in one post.

I bought Batman: The Brave and the Bold Season One Part One and Season One Part Two last year. Still haven't gotten around to watching them yet. With Season Two Part One and Season Two Part Two in my collection, I now have 2/3 of the whole series. Batman: The Brave and the Bold is a fine addition to animated Batman lore. Don't let it's campy nature turn you away. Actually, the camp and over the top nature of the show is what makes it so great.

I only saw one episode of Wolverine and the X-Men but I did enjoy it. Despite the fact that Marvel is bent on whoring Wolverine out, I still think he's a cool comic character. Picking this up at Wal-Mart for $14.99 was the perfect chance for me to see the series in its entirety. In this cartoon, Wolverine is played by Steven Blum, one of the best voice actors in the business.

What do I know about Area 88? Well, I played the SNES game U.N. Squadron which has very little to do with the anime series so to answer my own question, not much. This was only $12.99 at fye and they were having a special where if you buy one used DVD you can get another for half off. So Area 88 The Complete Collection cost me less than $6.

My mom bought WALL-E for my nieces as a gift when we moved to Virginia Beach last year. I watched the movie so many times. WALL-E is one of my favorite Pixar films and one of my all-time favorite movies. Needless to say, it's great to finally have my own copy and the three disc special edition, too.

So I'm sure you can tell by looking at the picture that I'm a huge Dragon Ball Z fan. I mean, there's five DBZ sets in that image. I went with the FUNimation orange season box sets because I picked up season  one and two years ago. I was able to pick up seasons three to six for $17.99 each used at fye. So why didn't I just opt for the Dragon Box sets? Well those things are already pretty expensive, even on Amazon and I have doubts if I'd be able to secure all seven sets. On top of that, they don't have Bruce Faulconer's score, which I very much love and could care less what any "purist" thinks. That and I have to admit that I do like some DBZs extended run. Yeah, it was padded out like crazy but it still has it's charm. And then there's DBZ Kai, which is far more faithful to the manga. I decided to get this when I feel like watching a shorter version of DBZ. I started with DBZ Kai Part Seven because it was on sale. I watched subbed episodes of Kai a few years back and liked what I saw.

No comments: