Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Lovin' What I Got



"Worst generation of gaming ever."

This is a claim that is thrown around quite frequently. I've seen it in message board posts and on YouTube videos. With the rising cost of game development, ridiculous methods of downloadable content (or DLC in general), gamers have made it no secret that there is plenty about the current generation of gaming that makes it arguably the worst ever. I admit that this generation of gaming hasn't been perfect. But really, which one has? Even the fondly remembered 16-bit era had more than it's fair share of grievances that made it irksome. But imperfect as current gen gaming my be, like so many generations of gaming gone by, there is much that I want to play.

Little Big Planet 2, one of the many PS3 games
I'd love to play but can't.


The PlayStation 3 has a truckload of games. Little Big Planet 1-2 has an insane amount of customization features in addition to being topnotch platformers. 3D Dot Game Heroes looks like a wonderful union of The Legend of Zelda and LEGOs. Metal Gear Rising Revengeance sounds like one of the best action titles 2013. Those are just a few of the many worthwhile games on platform available in physical form. The PlayStation Network has a plethora of arcade original PlayStation games I could download and occupy the systems hardrive space with, including some Japanese only titles.

There's no such thing as too much Mario.


Problem is, I can't play all the games I really want to. I'm lacking a key ingredient needed to get my game on with the PS3 and PSP: cash. The flow of green isn't nearly what it used to be and money is tight enough as it is.

"But Reg, you outta have a PS3 and PSP by now! Those systems have been out since forever!"

True, both those Sony platforms have been on the market for some time now, long enough to see a few price drops. The PS3 is $250 brand new and I could probably get a new PSP for $100. Why the PSP and not the Vita? I've already built up a medium sized library of PSP games and since Sony screwed up backwards compatibility on the Vita so I could easily play PSP games on PSP for cheeper. If I had a PSP, that is.



I really can't afford to spend $100 on gaming every time I get paid. I have bills to pay and that takes top priority over new systems and such. That being said, I can still get my gaming fix on the systems that I do own. My 3DS has provided me with countless hours of gaming entertainment. Thanks to Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, I play my 3DS on a daily basis. The Wii never collects dusts because it's constantly being used. If not by my nieces, then by me. I have a huge library of Wii games with more titles that I need to pick up. I still haven't started Skyward Sword, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Punch-Out!!, Sin & Punishment: Star Successor, Wario Land: Shake It! and the list goes on and on.

The PS2, one of my favorite gaming systems, is still hooked up. Why am I mentioning something from last generation? Well, I still play the thing. I have a library of over 100 PS2 games, many of which I sadly, haven't finished or even started. And with the PS2's backwards compatibility (unlike the Vita, they didn't screw this one up), I can fire up PS games like  Einhander or Final Fantasy Origins.

As much as I want to play New Super Mario Bros. U, and explore Miiverse, I just can't right now. It isn't easy to hear about all the stuff others are playing that I'm not able to, but I'll just have to be content with what I do have. And I happen to have a lot. So much that, I'm never really bored.

What about you? Do you only have a 360 to game on? Is it still working? If the thing hasn't red ringed on you, that's something to be thankful for. If you're doing your gaming on an NES, way to keep the retro spirit alive. Bottom line, as long as you're gaming, that's all that matters. Appreciate the system or systems you do have to game on.

1 comment:

Jim said...

new games are too expensive for the PS3 so I didn't mind that much when mine died and with the cost of living it took me more than three years to save up enough to buy the thing and it lasted three years before it died