Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Downloads #28

There's a ton of snow outside and a lot of stores are closed. Thankfully, not every store is closed and while picking up some things in Krogers, I snagged a $35 eShop card. So here's the roundup of my first Wii U digital games.

NES Remix



I was a bit reluctant to pick this one up at first. $14.99 does seem like a huge chunk of change to part with but after spending a few minutes with it, I would have given the money up even if this game got a physical release. It feels a bit WarioWarreish with a selection of games from 9-Volt. The games don't last very long so they don't wear out their welcome and you get a nice variety of tasks to complete. I was not expect to have to control two Marios at once to get all the coins in Mario Bros. before time ran out.

Dr. Luigi



Since The Year of Luigi is continuing in 2014, I've decided to do everything I can to support my favorite plumber. I already have Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team and New Super Luigi U so another game staring the ultimate player 2 certainly isn't going to hurt. True, it's another rendition of Dr. Mario, but this one adds some spiffy new additions like Virus Buster mode, which has you playing on the Wii U Gamepad, and I gotta say, it feels completely natural to do so and this is coming from someone that usually sufferers from eye strain from the device.

Rush



After plunking picking up Dr. Luigi and NES Remix, I figured I'd just buy a $4.99 NES game and call it a day but then I heard about Rush and that it was only $1.99. You have to maneuver blocks to a set destination in each area using tools like arrows to guide the blocks in the desired direction. I'm digging the visual and audio presentation of this game based off the video I watched.

Edge



This game was originally on mobile devices but now it's on the Wii U with an HD coat of paint. This was also $1.99 and it was made by the same company that made Rush. Though both games use blocks, they are still vastly different puzzle games. Rush has you keeping your eyes on multiple blocks while Rush almost feels like a platformer, but without platform elements. Two puzzle games for $4? And here I thought you couldn't get hardly anything good with pocket change these days.

No comments: