Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Latest Purchases #66



I've fallen a bit behind on Retro Gamer. Not just in reading but in collecting them. I've missed the last two issue and while this certainly isn't the first time it's happened, I always hate having gaps in the collection. Nonetheless, I have resumed my purchasing of the magazine. Load 124 has a Making Of on Metropolis Street Racer, one of my favorite Dreamcast titles, a Bluffer's Guide to Arcade Racers, and a Classic Moments feature on Star Fox 64 or Lylat Wars as it's called in PAL regions.

The Land Before Time is one of my all-time favorite animated features and in my humble opinion, Don Bluth's best film. There are a dozen sequels, but for me (and I suspect many others) the original, will always be the best of the lot. I haven't seen this movie in over a decade and it still holds up just as well as it did in 1989. This is the Anniversary Edition that has some special features that are mainly for kids. Sadly there's no commentary and from what I can tell, there hasn't been any remastering, but I'm not too bummed out about that stuff.

The Snoopy plush was actually something that was on sale at my local Wallgreens for Valentine's Day. As you can see, he's meant to hold cards, and I may use him for that from time to time, but I really just like the way this thing is made. Snoopy has always been such a cool character and I never thought of owning any sort of Snoopy toy until I saw this thing.




Speaking of Snoopy, Snoopy's Reunion has the honor of being the first Peanuts TV Special I bought on DVD and it was only $5 on Amazon. This remastered special is a little over 20 minutes long, tells a story of how Snoopy and Charlie Brown meant and as the name suggests, is about Snoopy reuniting with his brothers and sisters. It's a nice little special but the main reason I picked this up is for It's Flashbeagle, Charlie Brown, which is a bonus TV Special included on this DVD. It's Flashbeagle, Charlie Brown is one of my favorite Peanuts TV Specials and is what cemented Snoopy's eternal coolness factor in my eyes when I was a child. The whole special is great, but the main attraction is when Snoopy goes to a disco club, takes over the dance floor and dances the night away. It's undoubtedly the best part of the special. I used to have this special recorded on VHS and I watched it religiously. You can bet the farm I'll be doing it all over again now that I have it on DVD.

No comments: