Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Latest Purchases #67



Lots of stuff I picked up recently so I'm just gonna dive right into it.

The LittleBigPlanet has turned out to be one of Sony's best new IPs.  The series combines two of my favorite things: platforming and customization. I figured I'd pick up the Game of the Year Edition to get all the bonus content that became available after the initial release. So of you may be wondering why I didn't just skip to LittleBigPlanet 2. I usually like to start with the first game in a series whenever possible. When I do pick up the sequel, I know I won't play it right away due to my enormous backlog.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengenace has been hailed as one of the best action games on the PS3 and 360. I didn't know the game was a joint effort between Kojima Studios and Platinum Games. Kojima Studios has been doing an incredible job on the Metal Gear franchise and I love the work Platinum Games did on House of the Dead: Overkill. That and Platinum Games was originally Clover Studios. Anyway, K-Mart had Revengenance on sale for $22.99 so I had to jump on that.

With all the hoopla over the PS4 at E3 2013, it did my heart good to see that Sony would still be supporting the PS3. So when I saw the trailer for Puppeteer, I was really excited for this game. I could have picked this up for $20 on Amazon, but I felt like giving developer Digital Studios their full money's worth  so I forked over the full $40 at Target. When I finish some of the other platformers I'm running through, Puppeteer is definitely going to be next.

Gran Turismo 6 recently came out but since I didn't own a PS3 when Gran Turismo 5 was released, GT5 XL Edition seemed like a better choice. That and it was $40 cheaper than GT6. I thoguht GT4 looked jaw droppingly gorgeous so I can't wait to see GT5 in motion. XL Edition comes with all the extra DLC and bonus content that was later added to GT5.

I decided I'd pick up Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition when I saw the exclusive content for this version of the game. Mushroom Battle and customizable Nintendo clothing. Heihachi in Luigi's clothes? Sign me up! Tekken has always been a fighting series that's easy for me to jump back into no matter how long I've been away from it. K-Mart had one copy of TTT2: WUE and it was on sale for $14.99. Score!

I wasn't sure if Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze was going to retail for $50 or $60. To my surprise, it was $50 so I decided to grab it on launch day. K-Mart didn't have the game in stock (maybe they ran out) but fye had a single copy left and with my discount, I saved a few bucks. I can't say anything about the game because I haven't opened it up yet. I'm still making my way through other games.

That Nintendo 3DS Card case is something I ordered from Club Nintendo a little while ago. It's one of the better Club Nintendo items as it holds 18 3DS or DS game cards. For 400 coins, it's on the cheap side as well.



Max Fleischer's Superman was one of the earliest animated incarnations of the character that I'd ever seen. It's quite old but these theatrical shorts are still classic. This is actually the second version of these shorts that I own. This set is remastered and has some cool bonus content like the origins behind the series. fye lowered the price on this from $26.99 to $7.99.

The first time I saw South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut was on Comedy Central on Thanks Giving Eve of 2003. There were commercial interruptions but the film was shown completely uncut. I laughed out loud so many times that I can honestly say this is one of my favorite movies to watch. It's a hilarious film some some great musical numbers. Target had it $5.

Speaking of Comedy Central, I caught a few episodes of Dilbert on the network years ago. I was a big fan of the comic strip and I thought the show was a nice edition to the Dilbert name. I never set out to purchase the whole series on DVD but when the asking price is $5, how can one say no to that? Also got this from Target.

Space Balls for the uninformed is a Star Wars spoof by film director Mel Brooks. It originally released in the late 1980s but I didn't see it until 2009 and I laughed my head off. I didn't know there was a 25th anniversary Blu-Ray edition of the film and for $7.50, no less. Target has been very good to me as of late.

I have not seen The LEGO Movie, but from what I hear, it's really good. As a big LEGO fan, I'll more than likely pick up the movie when it releases on DVD/Blu-Ray. I have caught wind of the movie's them song, Everything is Awesome, which I haven't heard in full yet. This soundtrack has four versions of the song so I'm guessing the composer was quite fond of it. I got this at Barns & Nobles for %40 off the original price. I'm really interested in hearing the score, but perhaps I should see the movie first.



The third volume of Floyd Gottfredson's Mickey Mouse comic strip. I ordered volume 2 and 4 sometime last year because they were so cheap on Amazon. I figured I'd fill in the gap and order volume 3. Like the previous volumes, volume 3 is filled with well over 100 pages of Mickey Mouse comic strips from the 1930s and tons of bonus content. I haven't even started reading these books yet but I thumb through them from time to time and I really like what I see. So I'm hoping Fantagraphics Books keeps pushing this line of Mickey Mouse comics so we eventually get the whole collection.

I've been looking at the numerous Sachhi bookmarks in Barns & Nobles and since my collection of books has been growing and growing, they seem like a good excuse to get some shinny new bookmarks. These are all made of light weight metal and have a message written on them. The first one on the left says "Never, Never, Never Quit," which was spoken by Winston Churchill. The one in the middle says "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars," said by Les Brown. The one on the far right says "May happiness flow through every door." The quote isn't spoken by anyone in particular but the top of the bookmark has a key that reads "Happiness" since the lower half of the bookmark has a keyhole. Needless to say, I really like this one.



So many t-shirts! The Regular Show tee is something I picked up in Target when I was out shopping for a friend's birthday. It has Mordocai and Rigby sporting shades, looking like a couple of bosses. Not the first Regular Show tee I've seen but easily on fav thus far. Paid $12.99 for this.

The Adventure Time and Mac Miller tees were 2 for $10 at fye.. I'm a big fan of Adventure Time but I've never even heard of Mac Miller. However, I do really dig the design of the Mac Miller tee.

I think the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles tee is an old cover of the Archie Comics series since the turtles are sporting their 1987 cartoon series look. Also, you can't see it in the photo, but there's an issue number on the left side near the sleeve. The tee that reads "Drop It!" and has a cute little critter working the turntable that looks like a Pokemon is apparently from a series called Bravest Warriors. Never seen it but I love the design of this shirt. fye was having a sale on tees where if you buy one, you get a second for $10. I picked up this along with the TMNT tee.

No comments: