Search This Blog

Friday, March 4, 2016

Holding Off on Greatness: Why I Haven't Bought a PS4 Yet



Sony's fourth home console, unsurprisingly named the PlayStation 4, launched in November 2013 and has already sold over 35 million units world wide. That's pretty impressive for an eighth generation console that isn't even four years old. "Greatness awaits" was the original PS4 tagline. Well, for this game, its still waiting because I've yet to buy a PS4.

"You don't have a PS4?! Dude! Everyone has a PS4! How can you not have a PS4 in 2016?!"

Well, the short answer to that is that, I just don't. The long answer is a bit more complicated.

When the PS4 launched over two years ago, I saw an overabundance of PS3 games being ported to the system. It was as if publishers weren't sure about the system, despite the fact the PS4 is much easier to develop for than the PS3 was. $400 is far too much to pay for upscale ports. I could honestly care less if The Last of Us looks slightly better on the PS4 than it did the PS3. Not only that, but I didn't see any games that demanded that I run out and buy Sony's latest machine. I was also a few weeks off from having the cash to even purchase a PS4 but when the cash did come around (more on that in a bit) I still passed on the system.

It should be obvious to anyone that has read this blog for a while  that I'm a Nintendo fan. That being said, I didn't pick up a Wii U at launch for pretty much the same reasons I gave the PS4 a skip. For most of 2013, I didn't see much in the way of games. Then the second trailer for Super Mario 3D World came out and I was foaming at the mouth. When December 31st of 2013 rolled around, I picked up a Wii U and a PS3. I have different cases to present for why I purchased both systems.

As I stated, Super Mario 3D World was a must have game and it has gone on to be one of my all-time favorites. 2014 also saw the release of some of the system's best games like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros.

I picked up a PS3 because the system already had a slew of games I'd been dying to play for years. The LittleBig Planet games had always intrigued me and while the PS3 and 360 shared a lot of the same titles, I went with the PS3 because of the two, I figured it would be the system less likely to crap out on me. Plus, I've been a PlayStation gamer since the late 1990s.

Before I even purchased a PS3, I started to amass a library of games for the console and since games are for the most part, chump change, catching up (purchase wise) is really easy. Over the past month, I added Grand Theft Auto V, The Sly Collection, Devil May Cry HD Collection, God of War Saga, The Jak and Daxter Collection, Dragon Ball Xenoverse and Transformers: Devastation to my PS3 game pile. At the rate I'm going, my PS3 games may some day rival my PS2 collection (more than 90 games for that bad boy).

I currently have a lot on my video game table for the foreseeable future. Between the PS3, Wii U and 3DS, I'm not starved for games. With everything I've got going on with all three of those, I personally don't think I should pick up another game console right now. That and, there isn't really a lot of PS4 games that I want. Greatness can wait another day.

No comments: