Search This Blog

Monday, July 9, 2012

25 Years of "Metal Gear?!": Favorite Games

Over Metal Gear's vast 25 year history, numerous games have been released across multiple platforms, including spin-offs. As much as I like this series, it pains me to say that I have not played each and every Metal Gear so the games on this list and placing of some may surprise you.

4. Metal Gear - MSX2 (1987) 






This game looks very archaic by today's standards and even the gameplay is a bit rusty but I couldn't help but smile as I made my way through Out Heaven, avoiding guards and slipping past security cameras. I had to track down a copy of Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence in order to play the original Metal Gear, but it was worth the hassle. You know all those bombshell revelations the series is known for? They all started here.

3. Metal Gear Solid - PSone (1998) 





This actually the first Metal Gear game that I played and is what sparked my interest in the series. I'd never seen such levels of realism in a game before. If enemies were near and they spotted my footsteps, they'd investigate. I'd foolishly try to take them only only to be faced with the game over screen and one of my team mates in mission control screaming Snake's name. I ended up buying this game for my 19th birthday and playing it all the way through. Saying it was an unforgettable experience is a huge understatement.

2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - PS2 (2004) 





After two Metal Gear games that were set in modern times, Hideo Kojima told a tale that would take us back to the past. We stepped into the shoes of Naked Snake, the man who would later be known as Big Boss. Just what happened to him that started him on the path of darkness. And just how did he get that eye patch? Those questions and more were answered in what many consider to be the best game of the entire Metal Gear series. New gameplay elements were added such as killing and eating wildlife to survive and using camouflage to blend with the environment.

1. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - PS2 (2001)  





I can see the unbelievable shock on your faces right now. "MGS2 as your favorite MG game? But it ruined the series forever!!!" No, it didn't at least not for me. The visuals were a huge improvement over the first MGS and the gameplay felt more refined. Adding FPS aiming was extremely welcomed. "Raiden sucked! He wasn't Snake!!!" Well, obviously he wasn't but in spite of his self doubt, due to his traumatic past, he was still quite the adept soldier. Sure he looks like a chump through a good portion of the game but it isn't like Snake hasn't been made a fool of. Snake was played for a patsy in the very first Metal Gear and since then, he's constantly been manipulated by people much smarter than he is. But I digress. By placing Raiden in the staring roll, we got to see Snake a mentor figure and one of my favorite parts of the game was fighting side by side with Snake near the end. I like Snake but I've seen too many movies with characters like him. Heck, even games are over-saturated with characters like Snake so it was refreshing to play as a character that didn't carry the same attitude. The fact is, I've played MGS2 more than other MG game. I've played through this one multiple times. I've played through it on nearly every difficulty setting, and gotten enough dog tags to get the stealth and infinite ammo items. And after that, I played through it again. The story may not be perfect but at the end of the day, the Metal Gear Solid 2 is my favorite Metal Gear.



No comments: