Search This Blog

Monday, August 20, 2012

Latest Purchases #34




I didn't really get into Jack Kirby's art until I read the Essential Incredible Hulk Vol. 1, which reprints the Hulk's earliest comic adventures. Kirby is a comic book legend, having an unfathomable influence on the medium. Kirby: King of Comics is a hardback I've been aware of for quite some time and for $12.95 as opposed to the original price of $45, I was not about to pass it up. Besides, Barns & Nobles only had three copies left and I had to make one of them mine. I've thumbed through this book here and there and Kirby's artwork continues to amaze me. There's stuff in here on The New Gods, The Fantastic Four, Captain America and more. Kirby really did earn his nickname, King.

I wanted to pick up the Mega Man Zero Collection a while ago but it ended up being placed on the back burner. I didn't expect to see it turn up at fye for $22.99. I haven't played the Zero series in years so I think I'm long overdue for a revisit.

Went in Best Buy hoping to pick up Rhythm Heaven Fever for $4.99 but there wasn't a single copy left. What I did find was Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition for $9.99. It doesn't hurt to have some fighting action on the go and I did dig Street Fighter IV even if Capcom did go overboard on the numerous versions.

Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edtion wasn't the only game I saw with a bargain price tag. I was just thinking about Planet Puzzle League the other day so imagine my surprise when I stumble upon a used, complete copy for $9.99. Yoink! I've been a big fan of Puzzle League from way back when it was called Tetris Attack. Playing with the stylus adds a whole new dimension to the gameplay. And the music is awesome! I was hoping to hear updated version of the tunes in Tetris Attack, but after hearing a few songs, I don't mind their absence one bit.

New issue of Retro Gamer has a feature on the history of Electronic Arts. Yeah, the company gets a lot of hate these days but it's also responsible for helping bring about some of the gaming industries best titles. Further flipping through this issue reveals that this month's Future Classic is Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, a game I own, but still haven't got around to playing.

Kirby's had quite the extensive library on the original DS. Kirby Canvas Curse was actually his first DS outing and I really, I mean really should have gotten around to picking this one up sooner. I did some searching on Amazon and found a complete used copy and very good condition for less than $22, including shipping. Now all I have to do is pick up Kirby Squeak Squad and I'll have entire Kirby DS collection.

1 comment:

GameOverYeah said...

Will be interested to see what you think of Kirby as I was sadly disappointed.