Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2011

Proud Owner of a White DSi

For a while now, I was debating whether to get a DSi or a 3DS. A co-worker obtained a White DSi that he was willing to sell to me for just $60. Compared to the $150 that a new DSi goes for, buying one for $60 was a no brainer. Not only that, he even threw in two games Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing and Guitar Hero on Tour, free of charge.

The DSi is a huge step up from the original DS model. It's super compact, the screen is so much brighter, and more importantly, the touch screen looks brand spanking new in contrast to my original DS. I plan to do everything I can to take care of the touch screen for my DSi so I'll look into some accessories to buy and do some research on those.

Camera functions on the DSi are pretty neat as well. Sure, it may not be of the same quality as that of a high tech digital camera, but like a standard camera, depending on the lighting and other such things, the pictures you take can been viewed with ease. Even without an SD card, the DSi can hold a TON of photos as evidenced by the number of pictures left on the thing from the last kid who owned the thing. At first I wasn't really sure if I'd use the camera, but after doing some looking around, there are tons of things I could snap. I do wish there was an option to delete all photos because it took me a while to clear out the albums of the previous owner.

Unfortunately I did run into a snag, one I really should have anticipated. Since the DSi unit I have is used, originally belonged to a child, it was set with parental controls in mind, which killed internet access for me. Fortunately some searching on the net led me to some info that let me terminate the parental control settings. So now I can start checking out DSi games. Well, once I get some DSi points I can start checking out those games.

Since the DSi has no Game Boy Advance slot, playing GBA games are out of the question. This does make me wonder if GBA games will become available on the 3DS eShop. Of course I could just get a GBA SP and get access to GBA games and all my old Game Boy and Game Boy Color games. But then, I have no qualms about owning digital copies of GB, Game Boy Color games or GBA games if Nintendo decides to allow GBA games to be part oft he eShop. Despite my gripes with the 3DS' battery life, I'll be buying one eventually (probably the model that ups the battery life).

Now that I finally have a DSi, it's time I laid my original DS model to rest. The old girl has served me well over the last 5 and a half years. I'm not gonna sell it or trade it in because I know I won't get much for it. She'll just sit on my shelf as a constant reminder of all the fun times I had when I played games on her.

1 comment:

Tommy said...

What you do, is you use both DSes to trade Pokemon with yourself to create the ultimate save file on the game cartridge of your choice!