Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A Matter of Opinion

I was watching a new episode of Game Grumps where Arin and Jon are playing Contra III: The Alien Wars. Jon brought up Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time and Arin went off about how he can't stand the game. While I was surprised to hear this (Turtles in Time is one of my favorite beat 'em ups) I can totally respect Arin's opinion. He even stated reasons why he hates the game, the main one being that it's very repetitive. Beat 'em ups are by nature, the same thing over and over and I can see where that may sour for some people. And speaking of sour, the taste Arin's comments about Turtles in Time left in the mouths of a some viewers was exactly that.

Grump fans lived up to the name when
Arin announced his disdain for Turtles
in Time.

Now every video on YouTube no matter how popular is always going to get it's share of dislikes. But the sheer number of dislikes for this video (currently over 1,150) mostly came from Arin's dissing of Turtles in Time. If you don't want to take my word for it, just check the comments section. The video in question can be viewed here. Bear in mind that Game Grumps is not a show for kids. As much as I love Turtles in Time, I have to say, disliking the video just because Arin hates the game is pretty petty. However, the world we live in is one where you're viewed as an individual that needs to be hauled off in a straight jacket because you're mentally ill upstairs. If you don't share the popular opinion, you're a certifiable nut job, unfit to mingle with the normal people of society. Sad, but that's what so many people think. Movies, music, even games are not exempt from this way of thinking.

As Jon predicted, Arin is taking quite a bit of heat from Game Grump fans. Arin is fine with it and I salute him for sticking to his guns. Thing is, I know where Arin is coming from. I've made it no secret that I hate Chrono Cross, a game many say is one of the best RPGs ever made. While many will praise the game until the end of time, I stand by my opinion that the game is garbage. My opinion. You know, something that isn't set in stone. Not fact. A few years back on the DigitalPress forums, I think we were talking about overrated games and I listed Chrono Cross as a game I couldn't stand. Sure enough, someone could not believe that there existed someone in this world that didn't share their opinion of the game everyone and their dog loves. Like Arin, I stated why I hate Chrono Cross, lack of time travel, too many characters, said characters have no personality, and the confusing story. And wouldn't you know, the poster still couldn't see how I could hate the game. At that point I just agreed to disagree and let that be the end of it.

One of the best RPGs ever?
I beg to differ.
You've probably heard of Zombi U. It was one of the most anticipated Wii U games. Then some negative reviews came out and it was labeled as an awful game. But there were some positive reviews, too. Heck some gamers even bought the game and ended up liking it. Are you one of those gamers? You're a lunatic.

Sonic CD is one of the Sonic games Sonic fans fondly talk about as one of the best games in the hedgehog's career. While I do think it's a good game, in no way do I think it's the pinnacle of Sonic gaming that so many claim it is. The game's level design is some of the worst I've seen in a Sonic game. There are way too many springs that can send you into hazards like spikes and the pinball elements in this game are just plain overkill. The overabundance of springs makes getting out of the first two levels of Stardust Speedway a huge headache. Yet these glaring flaws rarely get mentioned by fans or in reviews. But if you don't view it was one of the best Sonic games ever? Expect the white coats at your door real soon.

I'd like to know just what makes one crazy for not agreeing with someone else. Where is it written that we all have to like or dislike the same games? Why is one person perfectly normal and the other is ready for the loony bin for not seeing things the way they do? Someone please explain it to me because I'd really like to know.

3 comments:

Adam said...

I loved the TMNT games as a kid

Tom Badguy said...

Turtles in Time was awesome if you played it in the arcade. The new "remixed" version took away any swagger it had. Chrono Cross isn't the best RPG, nor is it one of the best, but I think it is pretty good.

Chris Clash said...

I totally see what you mean. I may be one of the only gamers in the world who didn't like Final Fantasy VII...