Search This Blog

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Favorite Tunes #171: Fake Mermaids that are Fake

Did you tune in for the Nintendo Switch Presentation? It had its share of high and low points but I'm even more excited for the system. Some of the games I really, really want aren't available at launch but at least Breath of the Wild will be. The Switch presentation did influence some of my track picks for this week's Favorite Tunes. Enjoy!

Counterfeit Mermaids - Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (Multi)


I just started playing Shantae: Half-Genie Hero and I freaking love it! This is actually my first Shantae game and I'm very pleased to start with this one. Jake Kaufman has never turned in a bad soundtrack and his work on Half-Genie Hero is of exceptional quality. I was temped to listen to the music before starting the game up but I'm glad I waited.

BGM 1 - Super Bomberman 2 (SNES)


There were a total of five Super Bomberman games on the SNES, but only two of them were released outside of Japan. Those two Super Bomberman titles were among some of the most fun I've ever had on Nintendo's 16-bit baby. Regrettably Super Bomberman 2 dropped the two player support that the single player mode offered from the first game, but the multiplayer mode was still excellent.

Pleather for Breakfast - No More Heroes (Wii)


Travis Touchdown is making a return! OK, so the translator completely botched that Suda 51 segment, but hey! Another No More Heroes game! Anyhoo, No More Heroes were some of the best third party offerings on the Wii and the music was to die for.

In Pursuit - Final Fantasy Tactics (PS, PSP)


I'm losing count of how many times I've gushed over this game's glorious music. It is just that dang good. Final Fantasy Tactics is an often praised praised game in spite of having a story that can be quite the convoluted mess while still being intriguing. The deep tactical gameplay system certainly doesn't hurt.

Midna's Lament - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GCN, Wii, Wii U)


Sassy and bossy, Midna has gone on to become one of the most popular characters in The Legend of Zelda series. Fans were all too excited to play as her in Hyrule Warriors (she is SO good) and she's a cool assist Trophy in Super Smash Bros. Speaking of which, her very somber theme was included as stage music. Nothing like knocking someone off the stage to this theme.

Fight 1 - Fire Emblem Gaiden (NES)


Fire Emblem Warriors? As in Fire Emblem in the style of Dynasty Warriors? Yes, please! I thought it was a good idea for The Legend of Zelda to take that route, but with Fire Emblem, it is even more fitting. You may be listening to this track and thinking "Hey, I've heard this before!" Yup, this track was arranged for the Super Smash Bros. Wii U score.

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: