Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Latest Purchases #37



I know I buy a lot of things at fye and it's a bit strange. Their prices tend to be quite high. On the other hand, they do have a lot of things on sale and I currently have a 10% discount on whatever I buy so it's always nice to save some dough.

Anyway, my latest purchases were a couple of Batman DVDs. Batman: Year One is based off the comic book of the same name. It's essentially a retelling of Batman's origin story focusing on his first year. I bought the graphic novel back in 2007 and I have to say it's some great work by Frank Miller. I was a bit letdown by the conclusion, but overall, it's a very good Batman story. I've been meaning to pick up the Batman: Year One DVD for some time now and when I saw it on sale for $9.99, I didn't think their would be a better time to make the purchase.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns is another one of Frank Miller's works. Like Batman: Year One, it was released in the 1980s and was one of the things that helped Batman make the much need comeback he deserved. For those not in the know, The Dark Knight Returns is about an elderly Bruce Wayne coming out of retirement since he hung up the cowl 10 years ago. Gotham has pretty much gone down the toilet since he left but that's probably not surprise. I'm a bit bummed that The Dark Knight Returns is being split up into a two part movie. My guess is, The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 covers the first half of the graphic novel, while Part 2 will cover the second half and show us the epic showdown between Batman and Superman. I actually opted for the vanilla version of the DVD release since it was on sale for $14.99 and money is really tight at the moment. Maybe someday I'll get the DVD+Blu-Ray combo pack. I must say I'm very much annoyed with Warner Bros. placing the bulk of the extras on the Blu-Ray releases of it's animated features. I had planned to buy this movie on release date but things come up and I ended up buying it days after. This is probably what cased me to miss out on a poster that came with the movie when you purchased it a fye. The poster is the same as the DVD cover, which is all kinds of awesome. Having that to hang on my wall would have been so nice.