Search This Blog

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Playing the 3DS



On March 1st, I finally bought a Nintendo 3DS. Over the past week, I've been playing Nintendo's latest handheld and loving it. I figured I'd give some impressions on the system.

The 3D


I've never bought in to the whole 3D on anything. Not for games or movies. I just don't see the appeal. The 3D affect causes me server eye strain when turned all the way up but on low levels, it is tolerable. For the most part, I prefer to play with the 3D off. Having said that, the 3D does have it's uses, especially for a game like Super Mario 3D Land where the enhanced depth reveals that not every platform is on the same level as it may appear with the 3D turned off.

The Games


When I picked up my 3DS, I bought two games: Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. The original plan was to play both games from day one. "The best laid plans." Mario Kart 7 is has not even been opened as Super Mario 3D Land is occupying most of my time on the 3DS. The game is just so freaking fun, even if it is on the easy side. It mixes platforming elements from the 3D Mario games and the 2D Mario games into one grand adventure. Super Mario 3D Land made buying a 3DS well worth the dough.

If it's wrong for a grown man to love a
video game, I don't wanna be right.

As of this writing, the 3DS has a sizable amount of games I want to pick up, both ports and original titles. Pilotwings Resort, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time 3D, Star Fox 64 3D, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D Kid Icarus Uprising, Shinobi, and more that I won't even mention. Having a 3DS opens up the playing field for even more games. The only problem is the $40 price tag that 3DS games carry. It still doesn't sit well with me. So unless I find some good deals, it will be rare if I buy more than one 3DS title at a time.

The Virtual Console


Firebrand's first adventure is quite good.

Like the Wii, the 3DS has it's own Virtual Console system where you can buy downloadable versions of old Game Boy, Game Boy Color and eventually, Game Gear games. These and original titles can be purchased via the eShop. I downloaded four games thus far: Super Mario Land, Donkey Kong, Gargoyle's Quest, and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX. Many of these titles can be gotten for dirt cheap, in some cases, a lot cheaper than what a physical copy would cost you. $5.99 for Link's Awakening DX is a very good deal as is $3.99 for Donkey Kong, one of the best Game Boy games and Mario games of all-time. Best of all, playing these on the 3DS elevates the blurry scrolling issues that was associated on the original monochrome Game Boy. More than likely, I'll pick up Tetris, Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge, Balloon Kid (Balloon Fight is one of my fav early NES titles) and Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins. I cannot wait to see what other titles hit the Virtual Console. Make Mole Mania on the Virtual Console happen, Nintendo.

-----------------------

So yeah, the 3DS is for my money, $170 well spent. However, I have not retired my DSi and I have no plans to do so. Whenever I play a DS game it will be on my DSi to conserve battery life. That and some of my DSiWare titles (Mighty Flip Champs, Mighty Milky Way) can only be played on my DS. The 3DS is merely another means for me to play great games (or in some cases, enhanced ports) on a system I can't play anywhere else.

No comments: