Search This Blog

Thursday, May 24, 2012

I'm Fine with Current Gen Hardware

In a time where analyst and industry figure heads are saying so many things that make me facepalm, it's a breath of fresh air when someone steps out and says something intelligent. David Cage, founder of Quantic Dream had this to say regarding next gen hardware.

"I'm not that interested in technology or the next generation of consoles. If we could continue with PlayStation 3 for another five years it would be fine with me."

You know what? As crazy as that may sound to some, I'm perfectly fine with that. Why should we advance to the next console generation every five years or so? The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 are already insanely powerful systems as it is. Sure, the Wii may not be in the same league as it's HD rivals, but I'd hardly call the likes of Epic Mickey, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Xenoblade Chronicles or The Last Story "ugly." Besides, I'm in no rush to go out and drop a couple hundred bucks on a new machine. Yes, I'm looking forward to the Wii U but I wouldn't be bummed out if it didn't come out for another two years. The Wii keeps me well entertained as I'm still buying games for it. Heck, my PS2 still gives me plenty of enjoyment.

[Rayman Origins] One of the most visually stunning
games this gen on all platforms.

But it isn't always about fun, good gameplay or innovation, which I firmly believe the current generation of consoles can still deliver plenty of become we go into the next generation. Like Tim Taylor said on Home Improvement, some industry figures just have to have "MORE POWER!!!" I am of course talking about Epic Games Cliff Bleszinski, who wants the next generation of consoles to have "face-melting graphics." Oh but he has much more to say than that.

"There is a huge responsibility on the shoulders of our engine team and our studio to drag this industry into the next generation. It is up to Epic, and [CEO] Tim Sweeney in particular, to motivate Sony and Microsoft not to phone in what these next consoles are going to be. It needs to be a quantum leap. They need to damn near render Avatar in real time, because I want it and gamers want it--even if they don't know they want it."

A dub line from Dragon Ball Z was spoken by Vegeta to Bulma when they were all about to be killed by Freeza. He said "Every time you open your mouth, you prove you're an idiot." I doubt we've even come close to hitting that polygonal ceiling yet, so why should the next gen console line look like Avatar? Do you have any idea what those OMG visuals are gonna cost? When the 360 and PS3 launched they were sold at insane prices. It took Sony two years to see any money back from PS3s because they were sold at a loss. Not every developer has the budget of Epic Games and can pump out Avatar graphics. Bleszinksi is the living definition of a graphics whore. So many times he speaks, that's the only thing he can talk about.

[Bayonetta] An action packed title that didn't need
to look like Avatar to drop jaws.

I'm not against gorgeous-looking games or next gen hardware. Updated hardware allows developers to do things in games that they previously couldn't do before. But I don't think the current gen consoles are fully tapped out yet and even if they were, would sticking with them for a few more years really be that bad? If Cliff and his company get their way, development cost will only go higher and most gamers already hate paying $60 for a game. I can respect that Cliff has put out some amazing games, and high end consoles are needed to run said games, but should he force Sony and Microsoft to push the power boundaries even further just for his company's sake, especially when the end result will be even more costly? Absolutely not. When we do get Avatar-like graphics, I'll bet Cliff will want games to look even better than that! Makes me wonder just what he thinks of some of the most visually impressive games that came out this generation.

You don't have to agree with what I'm saying. I'm well aware that I may be in the minority on this. But I'm fine with Sony not bringing out the PS4 this year. If it doesn't come out in 2013, I'm cool with that. The current hardware Sony has is good enough for me. It will probably be a while before I buy the Wii U due to money and that the Wii and 3DS are both fine Nintendo platforms to keep me occupied. And if the next generation of gaming doesn't bring us Avatar rendered graphics, you won't hear me complaining.

No comments: