Search This Blog

Friday, May 4, 2012

Current Content and New Content

Even as I enter my fourth year of blogging here at Gaming Rocks On, I find myself wanting to come up with new content. This is primarily a gaming block, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to discuss other topics like anime or cartoons, which are some of my favorite things to watch. I figure if gaming mags and websites can talk about other things besides gaming and still go strong, why can't I?

Game Art is a regular feature I do here and it combines two of the best things in the world, Games and art and it's labor of love to find art pieces for each installment. I love seeing all the different takes on video game characters. It did occur to me to use Game Art as an outlet for anime and comic art, but I decided to just start up a new art feature for those. So you can count on seeing Superman, Batman, Spider-Man and other comic book heroes in the upcoming Anime/Comic Art feature.

The number of comic books I read is small (largely due to my annoyance at the way mainstream comics are being handled, an editorial for another day) but it gives me something else to talk about. Current comics I'm reading are Tiny Titans, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe, Mega Man and Young Justice. Over at another blog, I use to give my thoughts on the current issues of the comics I was reading and I just may do that here.

Going back to Game Art, I want to cover more series than what I've already done. There have been multiple installments of Game Art to feature Mario, Sonic, Zelda, and Mega Man. You know, a lot of juggernaut franchises. As much as I love those, I want to break away from them and focus on other games. Don't worry, Game Art will still feature those, but I want to give others their due. The gaming world holds a copious amount of characters and franchises and I want to cover as much as I can.

I'm a huge fan of video game music, listening to it on a near daily basis. Favorite Tunes is a way for me to share and discuss a small percentage of the gaming tunes that I adore. It's taken some time but Favorite Tunes is finally shaping up to where I'm really happy with it. It's much easier to focus on a single song than a few songs from a single game and it's easier when I only select a handful of songs rather than a dozen as I did in the first few features.

On the subject of game music, I also talk about soundtracks from time to time, mostly stuff from OverClocked Remix but I'll occasionally do a write up on an official game soundtrack. I could review soundtracks in the same manner that I do games, but that would just make even more work for myself and maintaining this blog is a big enough effort as it is.

I haven't had much to post about game purchases because I haven't bought much lately. The last game I bought was Xenoblade Chronicles. Posting about the games and toys I buy may not seem very professional compared to other sites, in fact, you could consider it glorified tweeting, but I like to think it adds a personal touch to this blog and keeps things a bit more down to Earth.

I definitely need to make more reviews for this blog but as of write now, the only current gen system I own is a Wii and a 3DS. I do a lot of reviews for Virtual Console games because I'm a big fanatic for old-school gaming and I think the Virtual Console is a great service even if Nintendo neglects it a lot. One reason reviews aren't hitting the blog as quickly as I'd like is due to time. Work takes a lot out of me and it's a lot easier to come home from after a hard day/night and just watch some cartoons on cable or pop in a DVD. I hate to say it, but sometimes I'm so tired from work that I have to force myself to play a game. A lot of work also goes into making this blog so it really is a balancing act to game, work and make posts.

It takes a lot out of me, but I really do love keeping Gaming Rocks On running. The number of views the blog gets is growing more and more each day. I'll keep working hard to maintain the this blog and work on ways to improve it and add fresh material. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some more work to do on this blog and some games to play.

No comments: