Search This Blog

Monday, May 14, 2012

"Indies are saving gaming. EA is methodically destroying it."


I meant to make a post on this last week but I never got around to it. But since being on time has never stopped me from talking about things, here it is anyway, late and all.

Markus "Notch" Persson, creator of Minecraft posted the following on his Twitter on Thursday, May 3rd.

"Indies are saving gaming. EA is methodically destroying it."

I'm not really a fan of EA. Many of their sports games are the same thing year after year with minimal updates. And the company bought out the NFL license to eliminate the competition from the 2K sports series, meaning they have very little incentive to outdo themselves when their football game is the only one in town. Then there's the online pass. I could list the sins of EA for hours but I'll stop there.

As much as I dislike EA, Persson's comment comes off as a bit egotistical to me. Yeah, indie developers deserve praise for their innovative efforts, but just because one juggernaut game company is doing a lot of things wrong, that does not mean the industry is going to tank. That also doesn't make indies the savior of gaming either. There's still plenty of innovation coming from mainstream developers. Games like BitTrip Complete and Xenoblande Chronicles are proof of it.

For the full story, go here.

No comments: