Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Holy Jump Stars, Batman!

I never did get around to importing the Jump Superstar games on the DS. If you don't know, this game series takes many well-known characters from Shonen Jump manga and throws them into a four player brawl, a la Super Smash Bros. If you don't have a DS, or you do have one and you're just not into importing, Wounami has made the next best thing.

Jump Hyperstars is a supped up version of Jump Super Stars. The game also has a sequel of sorts in Jump Tamashii Stars X2. Frankly, I can't really tell the difference between these two games, save for JTSX2 having a larger character roster and just a tad more unlockables than JH.

JTSX2 does have my favorite version of Gohan (the one who went into beast mode on Cell) while both versions feature a fan made Vash the Stampede sprite. Most of the sprites in this game look pretty good but both games play in full screen mode at all times so you can't help but notice some jaggies. Both titles have great music taken from various anime series, but there is some skipping in a few of the songs that I noticed. Even during four player brawls there's no slowdown. If you've got a game pad, you'll probably want to use that since playing this on a keyboard is not ideal.

You could probably just download JTSX2 and get the best experience, but I figured I'd mention JH for those that are completists and want both games. Since cash is tight for me at the moment, I found these games to be a very sweet alternative to the DS titles.

3 comments:

Tommy said...

I've heard of this series. I wonder which route I'm going to want to go with in getting it.

Reggie White Jr. said...

If you plan on playing JTS2X, be care of Vash. Dude is broken. I had the hardest time beating him. Nami was no push over either.

Sol (Frederick) Badguy said...

I play something like that.

I'm preparing myself to design my own combat game combining 5 different worlds, 20 characters from each world, when I complete making the game I'll try renaming it to "KOMBAT EXCELSIOR".

Can you guess why I chose this name? Kombat is familiar and so is Excelsior; so I'll name three of the worlds I'm adding to the game: CAPCOM, SNK-NEOGEO & DC.

I'll try to post videos on it in youtube.com (hopefully I can make them, I'll make my own VG blog an post there when the game is fully designed and I posted some videos in youtube).

See the videos and If any of the two of you liked them I can send you a copy of the game, just send me your P.O.box address and I'll TRY to send them. If I won't be able to do so: "Try downloading it". I MIGHT join a torrent website to allow downloading it.

It's going to be a fan made P.C fighting game, not something official to be purchased.