Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Prepping For Mega Man 9


Seeing the confirmation of Mega Man 9, screen shots, the first footage, and the trailer has given me what seems to be the biggest Mega Man itch I've ever had. I've been playing Mega Man Anniversary Collection to gear up for the long awaited MM9, what could be the hardest game in the series. I don't know if all this prep work will be enough, but I'm having a lot of fun, regardless.

  • Mega Man: I admit, I set it on Easy mode because I still don't have the skill to beat the Yellow Devil, though my dodging of him seems to have improved over what it once was. I've always been able to get to the Dr. Wily stages even without playing on easy, but the easy setting does not make Guts Man and Ice Man's stages any easier. Those platforms with the gaps in Guts Man's stage can still give me trouble from time-to-time, and I don't really even mess with the appearing/disappearing blocks in Ice Man's level. The Magnet Beam is my friend.
  • Mega Man 2: I still use Flash Stopper to get through Quick Man's stage. Wood Man still has my favorite robot master music in this game. I found out a few weeks ago you can kill Wood Man with one max charged shot from Atomic Fire. Cool.
  • Mega Man 3: Quick Man is still a pain in this game and I completely forgot you can use Search Snake to kill him, which is much better than the slow Gemini Laser. And the Dr. Wily stages have awesome music that don't get the credit they deserve. The ending is still one of my favorites. Sure, MM2's ending of the blue bomber walking through the various seasons is nice, but MM3's revelation ending that Proto Man is Mega Man's brother is a million times better.
  • Mega Man 4: This is one very polished game and IMO, has better level designs than MM2. The music is topnotch and its a shame it hasn't been give the same amount of remix love that MM2 and MM3 have. Pharaoh Shot is made of win.
  • Mega Man 5: Not even close to being the bad game video game magazines and websites make it out to be. Sure it may not have introduced anything new, but from what I'm hearing, it doesn't sound like MM9 will either and yet we're all singing the praise of that game. Beat was actually pretty useful and Gravity Man has my favorite stage in this game.
I haven't gotten around to the other MM games. I'm hesitant to play MM6 since the last time I did, I was reminded that it is the worst game in the classic series. I've thought about skipping it and moving on to MM7. More on MM9 prep later.

2 comments:

Tommy said...

Although it's got dashes and a different type of game design with the upgrades and heart tanks, I've got the Mega Man X Collection to go through still.

I've beaten the first 4 via rentals or owning the games themselves, but not the other 2 included.


And now I feel like a chicken with its head cut off knowing that Persona 4 is already coming out this year. That's friggin' nuts. The expanded version of 3 barely came out a few months ago. At least it'll have the extra stuff included and actually be cheap (and on PS-2 instead of PS-3).

Reggie White Jr. said...

I want to get Persona 3 FES but I'm afraid if I don't act quickly, it will disappear.