Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Retro Smashing


The Super Smash Bros. games are some of the most fun I've had playing video games. Nintendo stars going at it in an all-out brawl is one of the best ideas since the invention of the digital pad (which Nintendo did invent). I'd always wondered what an 8-bit style Smash Bros. game would play like. Thanks to Rebirth Gaming, I was able to find out. Gentleman...... Super Smash Bros. NES.


The game is exactly what it sounds like. Smash Bros. streamed down to 8-bits. The same rules to the official Smash Bros. games apply here. KO your opponent by building up his/her percent meter. I experienced some slowdown during the Adventure mode and during a four player match against CPU opponents in Metal Man's stage. This could have had something to do with my computer but I'm running on pretty fast hardware. Still, the game is fun even if it isn't as blown up ans Melee and Brawl.

As you can tell by the screen shots, SSB NES corrects what I feel was on of the biggest mistakes in Brawl by including Mega Man as one of the third party characters. He's even packing Crash Bombers as one of his attacks! I'm sure many players would prefer the Metal Blades but think of how broken he'd be if he had that. Like the official Smash Bros. games, you can unlock hidden characters and stages. If you don't feel like being surprised, check out the SSB NES wiki page.

Overall, I think Rebirth Gaming did a good job. SSB NES is one of my favorite fan games and I hope a sequel is made.

1 comment:

Tommy said...

Wow! I'm speechless...and very curious.